Frequently Asked Questions
When are practices?
- Practice times vary depending on the day, season, and program. See programs for details.
Where are the practices?
- All practices are going to be held at the Buffalo County Fairgrounds enter through Ag Pavilion
When is Matcat season?
- We typically start our Adv. Program in Mid November and our standard season runs from January through March.
What are the age requirements for Matcats?
- The Matcat program is intended for wrestlers from Pre-School to 8th grade. We divided up our practices into two age groups. PreK-2nd and 3rd to 8th.
Can my child wrestle up an age group for practices?
- If your child is interested in wrestling up, the coaches will evaluate each kid on a case by case basis. We typically expect them to have wrestled for at least two years and are mature enough to handle a faster paced practice. All need to be approved by a Matcat coach!
What gear is required for practice?
- Wrestlers typically practice in shirt, shorts and wrestling shoes. Wrestling shoes are the only wrestling specific gear that is recommended. Wrestling shoes for the youngest guys just trying wrestling for the first time are not required but we ask shoes that are worn have clean bottoms free of rocks. Headgear is also optional. Typically, wrestlers do not practice in a singlet but are allowed to if they would like.
- For the 2020-2021 season face coverings will be required during non-contact drills. (Gaiter style masks Recommended)
What gear is required for competition?
- Wrestlers typically wrestle in singlet and wrestling shoes. However, most tournaments do not require wrestlers to wear a singlet. Headgear requirements vary by tournament but at the youth level is typically not required. Starting in 2017 fight shorts and compression tops are officially an accepted uniform option. More info here: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/alternate-two-piece-uniform-approved-for-high-school-wrestling/
Is my kid required or expected to wrestle in competition?
- No, we do not require any wrestlers to compete in competitions. It is completely up to the parents on when they would like to start competition. We recommend that parents ease their child into competition. If your child is enjoying competing then they can continue to compete, if your child is not enjoying competitions then it is ok to just practice! Success at the youth level should not be measured by wins and losses more on your child’s enjoyment and growth in the sport!
Are tournaments included in the price of Matcats?
- No, the price of Matcats does not include any competitions (Unless your child qualifies for a Matcat Dual team).
How do I register my child for competitions?
- The majority of wrestling tournaments are ran through a website called Trackwrestling. You will typically be able if find and register for any tournament you would like on there. www.trackwrestling.com
What tournaments are Matcat Coaches at?
- The tournaments attended by coaches vary week to week and year to year. However, we typically announce during practices the tournaments that coaches will be at that week.
How are kids matched up at practice?
- We do our best to split kids up by size, age and skill level. In the 3rd to 8th-grade practice, we will often split parts of practice up between the elementary kids and the middle school.
What is the USA Wrestling Card?
- The Matcats provide a Limited Folkstyle membership. This serves as a secondary insurance policy for incidents that occur at a Nebraska USA Wrestling events and practice. (Matcats are a USA club so our practices are covered.) For more info go to http://www.nebraskausawrestling.org/page/show/967948-athletes-membership
Do I need an AAU or Huskerland card?
- We do not require an AAU or Huskerland card. They are not typically needed unless you attend an AAU specific event.